Holland Mechanics Truing Machine

UX / Interactive Mock-Up / Machine Interface

Truing machine interface

Holland Mechanics

 

 

As “The world leader in wheelbuilding solutions” Holland Mechanics design an build wheel building machines.

While technically advanced, most of the machines produced by Holland Mechanics worked with legacy software, software the has gotten a lot of new updates for functionality which got added in the interface. This made it hard to troubleshoot and difficult to work with for unskilled workers.

My task was to design an interactive prototype to show how the next generation of machines could benefit from a visual overhaul of the software. The focus for this project I worked on the truing machine, a machine that adjusts spoke tension to make sure the wheels are perfectly round.

Process

 

 

I joined a day in the factory to get an understanding of the process of making a wheel, the working of a truing machine and to decide on one user journey to focus on for this project; How to teach in a new wheel in the truing machine. After learning how to do this myself I did an UX analysis on the existing software within this journey to be able to pinpoint where the biggest improvements had to be done and to present a stronger case.

I mapped out all the functionality to completely overhaul the reading in process. I rebuild the process to give a proper overview of what was done and what still needed to be completed, where errors originated and how they can be fixed and to minimise the amount of information that was on the screen simultaneously. From here on I created wireframes to validate with technical advisors from Holland Mechanics.

After deciding on the process I did a visual overhaul of the application as well. With this design I tried to emphasise the good aspects of Holland Mechanics own design while still showing improvements. Finally an clickable prototype together with an assessment video and recommendations presentation was delivered to the client.

 

Legacy interface

 

Result

 

 

While at a glance the final result looks quite different from the original software, I tried to incorporate as much as I could from the original design. The goal of this was that existing workers all around the world are used to work with this software and should feel comfortable with the software as well as getting more productive. Another reason was that this was to show how the next generation of machines would benefit from a visual overhaul, not completely new software.

The design should be able to work with the same backend (I consulted the original programmer to ensure that I did not go out of bound with this). The final design will give the user better idea of the process they are going through for reading in a new wheel, how to troubleshoot errors and to understand what exactly they are adjusting.